When a customer is talking on the phone and arrives at the front of a line to be served, she should end her phone call immediately. If she doesn’t do that, say this:
“Ms. Customer, other customers are waiting to be helped. Rather than make them wait while you finish your phone call, I’ll be happy to take care of your request as soon as you’re done.” Give her the opportunity to end the call, and if she doesn’t, smile and courteously say to the next person in line, “May I help you?”
Source: Renee Evenson, author of Powerful Phrases for Effective Customer Service
This article originally appeared in the September-October 2017 edition of PETS+.
Latest Know How Articles
- Inbox: Letters From Our Readers for September-October 2017
- Build Your Christmas Music Playlist and More To-Dos for September and October
- The Year's Dumbest Holiday and More September-October Dates to Remember
- How Would You Deal With the Case of the Outsourced Sitter?
- Here's What to Say to That Customer Who Won't End Her Phone Call