(PRESS RELEASE) OAKS, PA – The Greater Philadelphia Pet Expo returns on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 12, 13 and 14, 2018, with fur flying new entertainment, dog sporting competitions and educational acts.
The annual pet expo will be held at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center for the three-day event. The Pet Expo is designed to educate and entertain the public about the world of pets. It will feature pet vendors, educational and entertaining performances, special attractions, a hands-on-petting zoo and pet adoptions. The expo is also the perfect way for pet parents to shop and meet with vendors with new pet products on the market.
The event is expected to draw over 15,000 attendees over the weekend, and pet owners can bring their well-behaved, leashed dogs to the expo. Over 100 vendors and many area rescue groups with adoptable pets will be on hand.
Some of this year’s highlights are:
- NEW - Dog Lovers Day Lure Course - Dogs will have a blast running through the lure course and testing out their agility while letting out some energy. Dog love to zip through this course, and it’s a blast to watch (Additional fee charged).
- NEW - TICA Cat show hosted by the Central Jersey Cat Fanciers - For cat lovers who have never been to a cat show, this is a furtastic way to see different and rare breeds of cats up close. Meow!
- NEW - Johnny Peers, Muttville Comix – Sit! Stay! Get ready to howl! Johnny Peers and his personality-plus canines will be there to tickle your funny bone. Johnny’s show is perfect for whole family. The stars of his show comprise rescue dogs like Daphne, the world’s only skateboarding Basset Hound; Squeaky, the ladder climbing Fox Terrier; Pepe, who only responds to commands in Spanish; and so many more adorable mutts.
- NEW - Butterfly Experience - Step into the magical world of butterflies and learn about their life cycle, see them flutter around you and have a go at feeding them. Partnering with the U.S. Wildlife on conservation of butterflies informational materials will be provided. There is a nominal fee of $2 per adult and $1 per child to enter the Butterfly Garden, which includes about 200 live butterflies, painted ladies and monarchs that families can feed.
- Flyball Tournament by Hard Drive Flyball Club - The ultimate relay race for dogs. Flyball is one of the fastest dog sports and comprised of dog teams. Spectators will be cheering in disbelief at the speed, precision and teamwork that is FLYball.
- Gail Mirabella and The Dynamo Dogs Variety Act - You can teach your old do new tricks – these veteran-performing dogs will knock the spectators socks off with their Trick Dog Show Routine, Frisbee Dog Acrobatics and dynamite performances. Gail and her canine friends will wow the crowd as they do all over the country.
- Rabbit Hopping and Guinea Pig Agility - Rabbit Hopping, it’s not the bunny hop you’re thinking of – but talented rabbits who love to jump! Guinea Pit Agility? Move over border collies there’s a new agility in town! Allikatt’s Bunnies will present an agility demo of rabbits hopping and guinea pig agility all weekend – and there is even a seminar so you can learn how to get involved in this sport with your own hare.
- Rainforest Reptile Show – An exciting, fascinating adventure through the rare and endangered reptile world. Many exotic reptiles will be at the show for kids and adults alike to learn about.
- Superfit Canine - Come see Disaster Working Dogs show how they find people missing in a disaster. Plus see their amazing ladder skills.
- The Delco Bird Club will be there various species of their birds and to provide information on pet care, diet and information on the birds' natural habitat. (Saturday only).
In addition attendees will enjoy a petting zoo, learn about and meet Alpacas and other unusual and exotic animals.
“This year we have added many new additions to the show that will delight children and adults of all ages. You also don’t want to miss any of the Flyball Competition, the new lure coursing action or the TICA cat show! This is one of our biggest pet expos and we always love to be in the Philly area,” said show organizer Karen Garetano of Family Pet Shows, which hosts the annual Greater Philadelphia Pet Expo. “We strive to make our events family- and pet-friendly and we highly endorse responsible pet ownership. At the expo attendees can expect to learn, be entertained by many high flying and educational pet talent acts, and meet and see animals they have never seen before!”
Attendees can also participate with their purebred dog in the Parade of Breeds on Saturday, Jan. 13.
The Greater Philadelphia Pet Expo will be held on Friday, Jan. 12, from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. (which is Family Night and kids 12 and under are admitted free), Saturday, Jan. 13, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Sunday, Jan. 14, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $13 per adult and $6 per child (ages 11 and under). Children ages 3 and under are admitted free. Visit www.familypetshows.com to purchase tickets online.