MONROVIA, CA – SuperZoo, which wrapped up Thursday at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, drew 9,500 buyers this year "to continue to cement its place as the pet industry event with the largest buyer audience in North America," according to a press release from the World Pet Association, which produces the event.
SuperZoo 2018 introduced an expanded show floor, three product showcases, over 70 expert-led seminars and numerous networking opportunities. It brought together independent retailers, international and corporate buyers, service professionals and groomers.
WPA implemented a buyer credential process this year, which it says led to an increase in attending stores.
“SuperZoo’s impressive growth is evidence that the outlook for pet retail, while competitive, is still very positive,” said Jacinthe Moreau, WPA president. “SuperZoo 2018 was dedicated to ensuring that pet retailers and service professionals had access to concrete education, networking opportunities, innovative products and emerging trends. WPA is committed to supporting the industry year-round and we are eager to unveil state-of-the-art programs and service offerings in the coming year. As the industry grows, so does our commitment to championing the needs of consumer-facing pet businesses.”
SuperZoo 2018 show highlights included:
- Nearly 1,200 exhibitors showcasing thousands of the most innovative products for pet lovers, including nearly 630 new products launched in SuperZoo’s New Product Showcase.
- New show floor features such as the Pet Tech Center, featuring 20 innovative and smart products, and the Made in the USA Showcase, highlighting more than 130 U.S.-made offerings.
- Industry-leading education sessions, kicking off with Retail Monday, tailored specifically toward retailers looking to maximize their time and value onsite.
- More than 70 education sessions throughout the show and on the show floor, covering the full spectrum of timely topics and best practices, from core business to softer skills – from retail to grooming, animal wellness to boarding and pet services.
- Grooming competitions awarding more than $51,000 in prize money and equipment.
- Pet Yoga and the Dog Petting Lounge, which provided an engaging interactive experience with the added opportunity to network with passionate pet industry professionals.
SuperZoo also celebrated the spirit and accomplishments of several contest winners, including:
- New Product Showcase Award Winners in nine categories. For the full list, visit http://superzoo.org/2018-nps-winners/
- Pet Product News' Retailer of the Year: Healthy Pet Products
- Tom McLaughlin Super Jackpot Winner: Yumiko Nakamura
- Grooming Contest Winners full list: http://superzoo.org/grooming-contests-winners/
Additionally, attendees and exhibitors benefitted from SuperZoo’s host of networking opportunities, which included a Networking Reception and a private concert by Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Kenny Loggins. Both opportunities allowed pet business professionals to make peer-to-peer industry connections with pet retail and business professionals from all around the country.
During the event, the Pet Sustainability Coalition and WPA announced a partnership that will elevate the pet industry’s focus on sustainable best practices and help retailers better identify manufacturers and brands that meet new consumer demands around responsibly-made products. WPA is adopting the beloved Pet Sustainability Coalition program - One Paw One Planet. Click here for more information.
SuperZoo returns to Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas next year, June 18-20, with education June 17-19. Registration is expected to open by January 2019.