Press Releases NY Dog Eats One of Nature’s Most Deadly Mushrooms, Lives to Bark About It Pet Poison helpline launches “Toxin Tails” to educate pet lovers and veterinary staff. Published 1 week ago on January 14, 2021 By Press Releases Share Tweet (PRESS RELEASE) PLEASANTVILLE, NY — What happens when your previously healthy pet eats something he found in your yard and wakes up the next morning completely unresponsive? That nightmare became a reality for Awilda Cadet, whose 80lb dog Davidson (affectionately known as Davey) started vomiting and displaying strange symptoms several hours after she caught him eating a wild mushroom. Following a visit to Veterinary Care of Mount Pleasant, identification of the type of mushroom from Prospero Nursery in White Plains and multiple consultations with the experts at Pet Poison Helpline, it was confirmed that Davey had ingested a highly poisonous fungi known as a Destroying Angel mushroom (Amanita bisporigera). It turns out the name is very descriptive. Cadet and her fiancé, Pepi Blanco, were out in their yard when Cadet noticed Davey eating something. She immediately pulled it from his mouth but realized he had ingested some of the mushroom. The dog did not have an immediate reaction but started vomiting approximately seven hours after exposure and was “not moving” the next morning. That is when they realized it was serious. “We have a big backyard, with deer and other animals, so we keep a very close watch on Davey when he’s out there,” said Blanco. “You’ve got to be really careful. If he had eaten the whole mushroom, he’d be gone.” Cadet and Blanco ended up finding more than 20 other Destroying Angel mushrooms in the yard and removed them. “The Destroying Angel mushroom is one of the deadliest mushrooms to grow in nature,” said Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a board-certified veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline. “It contains toxins known as cyclopeptides, or more specifically amatoxins. These basically target how the body makes life-essential proteins, with the main target organs being the liver and kidneys. Ingestion of small amounts can lead to severe and very rapid liver failure and death.” The veterinarians and board-certified toxicologists at Pet Poison Helpline are highly trained to assist in all types of toxicities, including Davey’s potentially fatal ingestion. Animals that ingest these mushrooms will develop signs within 6-12 hours, which initially include vomiting and diarrhea. Next, they enter a 12-24-hour period of “false recovery” where they appear to be improving before they go into acute liver failure. At the end stage of the poisoning, their kidneys may fail as well. Death often occurs within several days of ingestion. Davidson was incredibly lucky. After 17 rounds of a liver protectant, along with IV fluids, vitamin K1 (to help blood clotting), anti-vomiting drugs, and round-the clock care, the veterinary staff at Veterinary Care of Mount Pleasant were able to save Davidson’s life. His liver values and blood clotting ability began to improve significantly, and they were able to take him home after seven days. Advertisement “This military family did not give up on their pet, and neither would we,” said X, veterinarian at Veterinary Care of Mount Pleasant. “An unusual poisoning such as this can be very difficult for a general practitioner to diagnose, so quick medical attention by your veterinarian, followed by advice from the team at Pet Poison Helpline, can really help save a pet’s life. Cases such as this can have quite different outcomes, so we are very pleased at Davidson’s recovery and prognosis for a long and healthy life.” Pet Poison Helpline created “Toxin Tails” to educate the veterinary community and pet lovers on the many types of poisoning dangers facing pets, both in and out of the home. All the pets highlighted in “Toxin Tails” have been successfully treated for the poisoning and fully recovered. Related Topics:Pet Poison click to Comment(Comment) Advertisement You may like Promoted Headlines Let’s Hear it for the Comfort Zone Tall Tails Category Spotlight: Terry Naturally® Animal Health Category Spotlight: eTailPet Advertisement Latest Trending Videos Photo Gallery7 hours ago LOL at These Pet Industry Bernie Memes Press Releases2 days ago Two Companies from Bend Oregon Team Up for the 2021 Stage Stop Sled Dog Race Press Releases2 days ago New Tiki Cat Grill Pate Wet Cat Food Features Real Fish & Seafood Recipes in Broth Headlines4 days ago Open Farm Receives $65M in Private Equity Investment Photo Gallery1 week ago How Indie Pet Stores Are Celebrating — and Selling — Valentine’s Day Columns1 week ago Shelf Appeal: 5 Things to Consider When Choosing Products for Your Pet Store Trace's Store School2 months ago Video: Trace’s Store School: How to Build Community — and Grow Revenue — with Other Businesses Trace's Store School2 months ago Video: Trace’s Store School: Get Ready for Black Friday and Small-Business Saturday Trace's Store School2 months ago Video: Trace’s Store School Teaches You How to Start a Produce Co-Op for Pets Advertisement SubscribeBULLETINS Get the most important newsand business ideas from PETS+. Advertisement Most Popular Headlines4 days ago Open Farm Receives $65M in Private Equity Investment Photo Gallery1 week ago How Indie Pet Stores Are Celebrating — and Selling — Valentine’s Day Columns1 week ago Shelf Appeal: 5 Things to Consider When Choosing Products for Your Pet Store Hot Sellers1 week ago Holiday Toys, Bird Perches and Spa Treatments Among the Hot Sellers for November Headlines5 days ago Mars Petcare Plans $145M Expansion in Arkansas Press Releases1 week ago Coastal Pet Institutes Authorized Seller Policy Ask PETS+1 week ago What Do You Do When Employees from Other Pet Stores Come Into Your Store? Headlines1 week ago Pet Stores Have Questions About Lightspeed Supplier Network. We Have Answers!